Here's a conversation Aria and I had yesterday morning after Emmett slept 11.5 hours:
goofydaddy: hey Aria, guess what?
Aria: what?
goofydaddy: Emmett didn't wake up at all last night! Mommy got to sleep lots!
Aria: WOW! ...I don't sleep lots.
goofydaddy: oh? you wake up in the middle of the night?
Aria: yeah.
goofydaddy: we don't hear you on the monitor, what do you do when you wake up in the middle of the night?
Aria: I twirl Doogan's ribbon! (she throws in a quick twirl to illustrate and giggles)
I kinda believed her, but now I really do, because she woke up last night at 3am screaming for me. When I went in, I asked what was wrong. She started laughing that nervous laugh she does when all is not quite right, and held her hand out. It was too dark to see, and then she said "Doogan's ribbon fell off! I need a better sleep buddy!" I hugged her, we laughed a bit, I took the ribbon, gave her another stuffed animal, and she hugged it along with Doogan and went back to sleep.
This morning, Dana tied another bow from some ribbon we have, and I showed it to Aria when she woke up. she got a kick out of seeing it, and understood when I said that I didn't know how to attach it to Doogan. Occasionally throughout the morning, Aria would go to twirl Doogan's ribbon out of habit, and when she would only feel the little string that's still attached, she would laugh hysterically, and remind me that "when mommy picks me up from school, she's going to put Doogan's new ribbon on."
Poor Doogan! he's been through a lot!
Dylan's 2019 District Hoop Shoot experience
7 years ago




2 comments:
Poor, Poor Doogan....He's only three years old and he's literally falling apart at the seams (or ribbons). We've done surgery on him twice to repair his worn and mottled stuffing but he's still Aria's bestest sleep buddy. For years children have enjoyed hearing the stories of "Corduroy" and "The Velveteen Rabbit", and now there is "Doogan, Aria's Favorite Sleep Buddy".(drum roll, please...) So who's ready to take pen in hand or computer in lap and write this next children's favorite? I guarantee it'll be a winner for at least one little girl!
Love,
Grandma/Mom Zak
lol, literally!
Post a Comment