9.26.2008

...and she ate it

We cook dinner the majority of the time. We like to cook together. With our schedules now during the week, I mostly get dinner started early after picking Aria up from school and then Goofydaddy gets home shortly after. I'm not the best cook, but Goofydaddy and I are not picky eaters. So, if it's the least bit eatable, we eat it. Now with a toddler that judges the way things taste by sight, it gets a little tricky. Sometimes when I know Aria needs to eat a good meal, I will make her an egg separate because I just don't think it's worth the battle. Last night I made an eggplant/spinach bake with pasta on the side which can look a little weird, but is VERY tasty. Usually the color and texture of the eggplant and then the mixed in spinach would totally turn her off. (She does eat and love spinach plain though.) I didn't feel like making anything else so I just mixed it all up and made sure the eggplant was really small. I put the plate down and she immediately turned her nose up at it. She then asked for waffles. I asked her to try it and I got a "NO!" So, I told goofydaddy to not give in with me. She was definitely hungry and I had a feeling she would give in. So we just kind of ignored her a little while we got our plates together. I showed her I was eating the same thing and daddy too. I put some on her fork and asked if she would like to try it. She opened her mouth and in it went! I handed her fork and she ended up eating 2/3 of it. GOOD little girl! It made me happy.

2 comments:

Martina said...

way to stick to your guns! it's hard to break that 'short order cook' habit once it starts.

and it's good that she came around too! it's nice when kids learn to like something else other than the three main staples, lol.

have a great weekend! :)

caramama said...

Yeah! Good for you guys coming up with a way to get her eating something new, healthy, and surely delicious!